Death records charity hospital 1930 through 1933

By clicking on the title of a collection, you will be connected to the electronic finding aid. Each finding aid contains a navigation bar on its left side to facilitate movement to its different sections.

The Scope and Content Note of each finding will provide a general assessment of the research value of the collection. The evacuation of patients from the flooded hospital made national headlines.

The 1930s Medicine and Health: Overview

After the storm, a temporary clinic named the Spirit of Charity was established at the Convention Center. In February , a renovated University Hospital had taken over interim responsibilities of emergency care to the city which Charity originally provided. The hospital consolidated the functions of both the already closed Charity Hospital and University Hospital. The Foundation for Historical Louisiana, as charged in HCR 89 of the Louisiana Legislature, hired the internationally renowned architectural firm, RMJM Hillier , to "…examine and evaluate the entire Big Charity structure to determine the advisability of repairing or restructuring the entire facility.

The series documented the lives of the hospital physicians and their patients. The episodes often illustrated the rate of violence in New Orleans by chronicling the high volume of patients who were treated in the emergency department with gunshot or stab wounds. Charity Hospital was also in an episode of NY Med , where a doctor reminisces of his time spent at the hospital.

Big Charity , a documentary film by Alexander John Glustrom tells the untold story behind the death of Charity Hospital and unveils the truth about one of the largest single payouts of federal disaster funds in state history. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Hospital in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths Indexes

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. Hospital in Louisiana, United States. Lost New Orleans , p. Some hope remained for approval of the hospital proposal into The legislature had authorized Charity to issue bonds. This authority, said the PWA, had to be tested by the state supreme court.

Our Mission

Even though Long wanted the hospital, he wanted even more to be able to keep federal projects out of the hands of his enemies. Delos Smith, an attorney for the hospital, paid a visit to Colonel Horatio Hackett, PWA assistant administrator, to promote the project. The way was cleared for a third Charity Hospital proposal. This time only a grant was requested, which freed the PWA from concerns about hospital bond issues.

Matters were further helped by the new regulations increasing the size of the grant from 30 to 45 percent. The new hospital was to be the second largest in the country. It would rise 20 stories, the tallest building in the city.

Weiss, Dreyfous, and Seiferth wanted their fees increased accordingly. It argued that all the work was done before construction costs went up. However, it had no objection if the state wished to pay the architects more out of its own funds. The state did. The growing cost of the project emerged gradually.

Big Charity: The History of Charity Hospital

The ambulance house and laundry were built first with some cost overruns. It got worse when bids were let for the main building. The finished building was a grand monument to public health, but it had feet of clay, or, more accurately, sand. So it was not altogether a surprise when Big Charity began to sink. By January it was nine inches below its starting point, more than two and a half times the average settlement in the city.

Mason met with architects Weiss and Seiferth. Consultants were sought. Weiss agreed to pay the fee, probably gnashing his teeth. Terzaghi concluded that the architects were not at fault. The gradual consolidation of material under them would have happened in any case. Cross affirmed that the structural steel was undamaged. By the end of , the building had sunk 12 and three-quarter inches and was still going. Terzaghi had originally thought that 80 percent of settlement had occurred. In his final report, he revised it to 70 percent and predicted it might continue until He was right about the percentage but overly conservative about the time.

The building would continue to sink for another three and a half years, coming to rest almost 18 inches down. Rumors that the second story had now become the entry level were a slight exaggeration. The Ivy League experts did not impress everyone. He claimed experience on more than 4, projects from to and to have authored 30 books.

Had he known what he was doing, it would have been a bargain.

Despite his impressive credentials, the PWA declined the offer. Another volunteer fixer was a young Tulane graduate named Claiborne Perrilliat. He was no more successful than the veteran Fowler. The crisis passed, the experts were paid and went home to New England, and the hospital opened for business. Though Huey Long was not able to get Big Charity built before he died, the structure contains a tribute to him and his system of government.

Sculptor Enrique Alferez designed an aluminum grille over the main entrance to the hospital. In the center is a flying duck. They were required to remit a percentage of their salary on designated paydays. According to Alferez, a man with a hacksaw was sent to excise the offending bird. The duck remains. Alferez had another interesting story about the building of Big Charity.